7 Active Ways To Perform To Your Mental Best
Although there are many therapies out there various physical exercises can be just as effective
According to a 2017 study, exercise will help you manage stress with 12% of cases of depression being prevented within the first hour of exercising.
1. Running has been proven to help with anxiety and is much better than sitting a brewing over problems that may not ever materialize.
According to a study in Frontiers Psychology Journal, running can help those that have bipolar disorder as it eases manic symptoms by providing a calming effect and regulating mental mood.
And running is the base movement of many other sports too. Once you get fit enough to run a bit you can also partake in organized sports and receive other psychological and social benefits too.
One of these comes from being involved in team sports.
And many top-class athletes and performers use these techniques too.
Celebrity Selena Gomez runs regularly on a treadmill and finds it beneficial as it relieves her mental stresses too.
2. Team sports involve mixing with others and working towards a bigger and combined goal and also give you many other benefits that will aid your well-being and performance.
And there are many out there who don’t feel that mental well-being and health are related to performance, but they’re wrong. For you can’t perform to your highest ability without being mentally healthy in the first place. And there are many people out there that perform in professional sports and although they have great physical ability, lack top regular performances because they don’t look after their mental health properly.
And team sports can do this because you are with lots of different personalities who are also trying to improve and work together too.
Other than team sports there are other exercises that make you feel better and perform to your highest level.
3. Yoga unites the brain, body, and mind and eases stress, and relaxes your mind according to the American Psychological Association.
Many people think that you must be flexible to do yoga but this couldn’t be further from the truth. After all there as many different types of yoga as there are sports out there. Most people in the western world only see the physical type of yoga which is known as hatha yoga, but there are less active ones too.
Some forms of physical yoga concentrate on the upper body only, others more so on the lower body, more again on the flow of the body, and then there are some that are more powerful and motivate faster movements too.
There’s yoga for everyone everywhere, you only have to find out which ones suit you.
Actor Robert Downey Junior feels that yoga had helped him rid himself of his demons and his heroin addiction too.
Fellow actor Matthew McConnaughey said of yoga that:
“It gives me a feeling of flexibility as well as strength- it adds to the feeling of well-being I get from running and doing crunches and push-ups.”
4. Cycling uses motor skills that help the white matter of your brain.
Research has shown that by even cycling on a stationary bike those with schizophrenia can be helped as their white matter can be increased. And this in turn can help with mental imagery as there is a neurological link between this and your motor movement.
5. Many people prefer to go to the gym to workout but don’t realize that being there gives a social benefit as well. Especially if you attend regular classes and mix with others that are seeking instruction for their fitness.
Many people find it inspirational to exercise in sight of others. Relationships and friendships can also be made by being in the gym and these relationships can be developed outside of the gym also.
Celebrity Khloe Kardashian finds that when things are closing in on her mind that going to the gym helps her cope as it releases endorphins and helps her feel good about herself.
6. Tai Chi is a series of physical movements in a slow and graceful manner that aims to harmonize the body and mind through the alignment of your breath.
It is a non-competitive exercise program that involves dynamic movement arising from a variety of traditions of tai chi and can bring a person into a meditative state and unite the body and mind at the same time.
These ancient movements can also increase energy, improve mood, decrease anxiety and depression and also improve agility, balance, and flexibility too.
It has also been proven to lower blood pressure, improve overall wellbeing, enhance the immune system, and aid with joint pain as well.
7. Qigong is thousands of years old and has over 500,000 Qigong users in the United States alone.
In 2011, there was a study done of 100 outpatients who had systolic heart failure who had a 3-month exercise program and it discovered that Qigong significantly improved the moods of people with an average age of 67 years of age.